21 Dec Mini Whackable Vegan Chocolate Orange
As you all (probably) know by now I have a slight addiction to the combination of flavours that unfold when chocolate meets orange. Since going vegan I have been on the lookout for any vegan chocolate oranges like the one’s I enjoyed growing up. This year I have decided to make my own.
This recipe started when I was shopping online on Black Friday. I was doing some Christmas shopping on Amazon when I saw these silicone orange molds. I immediately added them to my cart. But then I thought to myself if I’m really going to go all out and make break-a-part chocolate oranges I should get the proper wrapper. So I also ordered these foil wrappers.
When I got these in the mail a week ago I began experimenting with the recipe. I have made some chocolate orange, mint chocolate, and peanut butter chocolate. If you try any of these combinations or one of your own let me know how it goes in the comments below.
Begin by melting the cacao butter and coconut oil.
Mix in the other wet ingredients. Followed by the cacao powder.
Pour into molds. Freeze.
Mold into a circular shape resembling an orange. Freeze.
Whack, unwrap, enjoy! 🙂
I hope you enjoy this whackable vegan chocolate orange recipe. It’s:
If you also have a serious fondness for anything chocolate-orange flavoured you may enjoy these recipes:
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup cacao butter
- 3½ tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract*
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- ½ cup cacao powder
- Optional: orange zest*
- In a double boiler, melt cacao butter and coconut oil.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, vanilla, orange extract, and salt, until incorporated.
- Sift in the cacao powder and whisk to combine.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the orange molds to fill.
- Gently tap/shimmy the mold to remove any air pockets.
- Place the filled mold onto a baking tray and place in the freezer for 1 hour to set.
- Pop the chocolate orange slices out of the mold and place on the tray. Wash and re-fill 8 of the molds (don't fill two of the molds-we will be using the remaining chocolate). Freeze for 1 hour. (BE SURE TO KEEP THE EXTRA CHOCOLATE IN THE BOWL)
- Line a small circular container with saran wrap. Place 6 orange pieces together in the lined container.
- Use the remaining chocolate as "glue" to hold together each half of the chocolate orange.
- Spoon a small amount of the chocolate on top of the orange pieces and wrap the top tightly to hold the orange slices together. Place your saran wrapped oranges in the freezer again for 1 hour to set.
- Wrap in two sheets of the orange foil and store in the freezer until you're ready to eat (or gift) the chocolate oranges.
*Feel free to change this recipe into another flavour by replacing the extract and optional garnish with mint, raspberry, etc.