28 Mar Vegan + Gluten-Free Jalapeño Poppers
Jalapeño poppers were one of my favourite savoury treats as a kid but they always left me feeling heavy and tired. Enjoy this delicious traditionally deep fried appetizer in a whole new way, without the heavy feeling.
As always the recipes on this blog are aimed to keep you thriving from eating a plant-based diet. The superstar ingredients in this recipe are nutritional yeast and flax. Nutritional yeast will help keep you feeling satisfied (it’s actually a complete protein believe it or not!) It’s also filled with B12 and iron. The flax gives it an earthy taste while providing it with that crispiness as it bakes. Flax also fills you with fibre, omega-3, and manganese.
These jalapeño poppers are:
If you try this recipe let me know by leaving a comment and taking a picture. Tag your picture with #gillianelizabeth on Instagram so I can see how it turns out.
- 12 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- ½ cup non-dairy cream cheese
- ⅓ cup non-dairy cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Prepare a baking pan by placing aluminum foil down.
- In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and sea salt. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of this mixture into prepared jalapeños.
- In a small bowl combine milk and 2 tablespoons flax seed, stir together lightly. Let sit while you prepare your other battering stations.
- Next, pour oat flour on a plate or in a shallow bowl, set aside. Fill a small bowl with the breadcrumbs, remaining flax seed meal, and nutritional yeast flakes.
- Align batter station as follows; flour, milk flax egg*, and breadcrumbs. Grab one jalapeño half at a time; fill with cheese mixture, roll in flour, dip in milk flax egg, and dip in breadcrumbs. Press breadcrumb mixture onto poppers to stick.
- Place each jalapeño half, cut side up, on the prepared baking pan. Spreading them out evenly. Place the poppers in the oven to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool slightly and serve warm.