20 Mar Creamy Caramel Stewed Dates
Yesterday I finally posted about my Vipassana meditation experience. If you want to read more about this experience, click here. Overall, I highly recommend it to everyone. Today I wanted to share another recipe that I enjoyed while I was away at the retreat.
This creamy caramel stewed date recipe is creamy (of course), melt-in-your mouth, and made with 4 simple ingredients (one of which is water). At the retreat they used prunes instead of dates and it was also super delicious! I would recommend trying this recipe both ways or making it with a mixture of dates and prunes.
On that note let’s dive deeper into this creamy caramel stewed date recipe!
The feature ingredient of this recipe is dates. Dates are naturally caramel flavoured, high in fibre, potassium, magnesium, and Vitamin B6. Dates are amazing heart openers as well, promoting feelings of compassion and non-judgement towards yourself and others!
I hope you all love this stewed date recipe just as much as I do. They are:
Easy to prepare
& So simple.
These dates make the perfect snack, topping for oatmeal, or enjoy them as the main part of your meal and top them as you would your oats.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it was by leaving a comment below and tagging me in a photo #gillianelizabeth on Instagram.
- 1 cup dates or prunes
- ½ navel orange, sliced*
- ½ cinnamon stick
- Filtered water
- Cut the orange fruit in half vertically, and then slice it thinly.
- Place the slices in a medium sized bowl with the dates and the cinnamon stick.
- Add water to cover about an inch or two above the mixture.
- Cover and let soak overnight.
- **For a faster cooking option you can place all ingredients in a saucepan and cooke over medium-low heat for 30-45 minutes, until tender.**
- Serve warm or room temperature over oatmeal, nice cream, or enjoy it by itself.
- Store leftovers in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.