17 Sep Quick & Easy Spanish Rice
This quick and easy Spanish rice recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and versatile making it the perfect side or entrée.
This dish starts with frying your onion or scallion in some oil.
Next, sauté the rice.
Incorporate the vegetable broth and salsa. Cover with a lid to cook.
Lastly, stir in some fresh cilantro and beans for added protein and satisfaction.
Rice, especially white rice, gets a bad rap in the wellness world. Many people simplify it as being a simple sugar that is ultimately not beneficial for the body. Although white rice doesn’t contain many nutrients I would have to disagree. When I eat white rice I feel extremely satisfied and have sustained energy. This is why I believe it’s so important to listen to your own body. Sometimes things work for you that don’t for others. My personal favourite kinds of rice are basmati and jasmine. They are both different varieties of aromatic rice. Jasmine has a moist, soft texture and can become sticky when cooked. Since I want fluffy rice (not sticky/moist) I used basmati in today’s recipe. Keep in mind that basmati is a long-grain rice and most Spanish dishes use short-grain rice such as bomba (arroz) rice.
One disclaimer I will make is that when buying and eating rice try to buy organic as much as possible. I remember seeing a picture a few years ago of a rice field that looked as if it was glowing because of all of the chemicals it had been sprayed with. That image has stayed with me and it encourages me to choose quality over quantity.
Another benefit is that rice has been a symbol of abundance and good luck for decades. I’ll welcome that energy into my body anytime.
This Spanish rice is:
Top this recipe with toasted spicy cashews, sour cream, lime wedges, or sunflower seeds to add an extra oomph! It’s also delicious served over a bed of spinach or inside of a wrap as a burrito. You can also add it to this Taco Salad recipe. Yum!
If you make this recipe be sure to let me know, comment and rate it below. Or save this recipe to your Pinterest boards for later. If you would like to share a picture with me, tag @gillianelizab3th on Instagram. I love seeing what you guys create.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ sweet onion or 1 shallot, chopped
- ½ jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1½ cups rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup beans (kidney or black)
- Add the oil to a large saucepan (with at least a 2-inch depth) on medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño, sauté until translucent/cooked, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir the rice into the pan and stir often until the rice begins to become golden and toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and salsa, stir to combine. Lower heat to simmer and cover with a lid to cook for about 20 minutes. Check the rice by stirring occasionally and add more broth or water if needed.
- When the rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed stir in the cilantro and beans.
- Serve warm.