10 Jan Cumin Rice
I love rice. I’ve always loved rice. Sometimes I even eat rice for breakfast, that started as a child… Mulan may have had an influence in that.
This cumin rice recipe is delicious and super cozy for winter time with all of the yummy spices! Dressing rice up in some sort of way always gives it a more satisfying feel.
This recipe requires 9 ingredients (10 if you add the optional add-in) and one pot.
It starts with soaking the rice. When the rice is soaked begin by heating the spices.
Next stir in the rice. Add some water, lemon, and salt.
The finished dish is a delicious entrée or a perfect addition to any dish. It’s:
& A subtle twist on plain rice.
Let me know what you think of this recipe and what you served it with by leaving a comment below and share it on Instagram. Tag your photos with #gillianelizabeth.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 T Earth Balance butter or vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- small part of a cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cardamom seeds
- 1 t whole cumin seeds
- 3 cups water
- 1 t lemon juice
- ½ t salt
- ¼ cup peas, carrot, and corn frozen mixture (optional)
- Rinse the rice in cold water. Soak rice for half an hour in cold water.
- Set rice aside to drain. In a medium sized sauce pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- After two minutes, add the cumin seeds and cook until they sizzle, about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice. Cook for 4 minutes while stirring.
- Add water, lemon, and salt. Stir. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook for 12-15 minutes, do not stir and do not remove the lid.
- Remove lid and fluff with a fork, if there is still water left over continue cooking. If using frozen vegetable mixture add now, stir, and cover for another 5 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and cardamom seeds if desired.