12 Feb Italian Style Vegan Zucchini Boats
Tender zucchini stuffed with a savoury filling, on a bed of spicy tomato sauce, topped with crisp gluten-free bread crumbs and brazil nut parmesan.
Reserve the zucchini flesh to bake into a loaf or muffins like this Cacao Banana Bread.
These Italian style vegan zucchini boat’s feature:
A savoury filling
Hint of crunch
Loads of flavour
They are super satisfying and the perfect summer time dish.
- 3-4 medium zucchini
- 1¼ cups tomato sauce*
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup cremini mushrooms, chopped**
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon aquafaba
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, plucked and chopped
- ½ teaspoon Herbamare
- Pink himalayan salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup brazil nut parmesan
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini's. Slice the zucchini's in half, lengthwise. Use the tip of a spoon to scrape out the zucchini flesh.***
- Place the scooped out zucchini boats into a 13" x 9" baking dish and add 1" of water. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- While that is cooking prepare the filling.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
- While that is cooking add the walnuts, chickpeas, aquafaba, oregano, Herbamare, salt, and pepper to a food processor (or blender) and mix to combine. Be sure not to over-mix, you still want some texture.
- Stir the sautéed mixture and blended mixture together to combine.
- When the zucchini is cooked, remove from the tray and drain the water.
- Add 1 cup of tomato sauce to the bottom of the pan.
- Place the zucchini boats on top and evenly fill the boats with filling mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil and cook for 15 minutes, until zucchini is tender.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Remove the foil and evenly spoon remaining tomato sauce over the boats followed by the parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Place in the oven with door slightly ajar for 1 to 2 minutes, until crisp.
**If you're not a fan of mushrooms add extra walnut and chickpeas to replace them.
***Reserve the flesh of the zucchini to use in another recipe like muffins, cookies, or in a smoothie.