26 Mar Detox Pesto Salad | GF + V
While I was away on the Awakened Woman’s Retreat I met a bunch of amazing and beautiful souls.
One of them, Kathy, was the main chef for the retreat, she runs the blog Holistic Hormone Help. She is such a wonderful human and it was such a pleasure to be in the kitchen with her. Today we are collaborating on this recipe post and I’m using her Avocado Basil Pesto recipe as the dressing on this Detox Pesto Salad.
This fresh green salad with a creamy pesto dressing will have you falling in love with salad. It’s packed with healthy fats, fibre, protein, iron, calcium, and Vitamin’s A and C. It’s the perfect spring salad.
A few years ago I had a palm reader tell me that I needed to eat more greens. At the time I didn’t have a huge variety of greens in my life because I didn’t like many of them. My favourite was sautéed kale, so I ate more kale. Gradually, I started to crave spinach and moved away from kale. I began to add a little bit of spinach in my morning smoothie that eventually turned into two handfuls with spirulina every morning. The more greens I eat, the more I seem to crave.
Greens are amazing for your body! They help you build strong bones, balance intestinal flora, strengthen your immune system, improve bowel health, improve circulation, regulate blood sugar levels, maintain eye health, and improve mood. It’s important to eat a variety of greens because they all contain slightly different benefits and work together in different, magical ways within the body to create these benefits.
I’m not a huge salad fan because if I’m going to eat salad it needs to be rich, creamy, and satisfying. Hence why I have such a love for Caesar Salad. I hope you love this Detox Pesto Salad. It’s:
If you make this recipe be sure to let me know, comment and rate it below. Or save this recipe to your Pinterest boards for later. If you would like to share a picture with me, tag @gillianelizab3th on Instagram. I love seeing what you guys create!
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 6 asparagus stalks, peeled or chopped
- 2 scallion stalks, chopped
- 3 dinosaur kale stalks, chopped
- 4 Brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1 field cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 rapini stalks
- ½-1 recipe avocado basil pesto*
- Hemp seeds
- Lemon wedges
- Pink Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- To assemble the salad, make a bed out of the mixed greens on the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- Next, add in the asparagus, scallion, kale, Brussels sprouts, and cucumber.
- Flash fry the rapini stalks in a pan with oil. If you would prefer a raw salad chop the rapini instead. Place the rapini on top of the salad.
- Next, pour the avocado basil pesto on top of the salad and mix to incorporate.
- Top with any or all of the optional toppings.