17 Apr Crispy Sweet Potato and Okra Curry
Ever since I laid eyes on okra for the first time I have been hooked.
This beautiful green vegetable is delicious raw or cooked. It can easily be incorporated into so many dishes. One of my favourite combinations is potato and okra.
This dish comes together in about 30 minutes from start to finish and only requires 1 pot.
This recipe features:
Sweet potato helps to bring balance to the sacral chakra which (when balanced) allows you to express yourself clearly, feel confident, and manifest with ease. Physically, eating sweet potato helps to maintain bladder and sexual organ health, manage diabetes, and promote heart health.
I feel that this vegetable is the very embodiment of the divine feminine if there ever was a vegetable to represent this. It is so good for both women and men’s sexual health.
Okra contains a number of essential vitamins such as: Vitamin A, C, and B and minerals such as: calcium, iron, manganese, zinc, calcium, and magnesium. It is also high in fibre. This vegetable helps to improve digestion, strengthen immunity, promote eye health, improve your complexion, and maintain heart health.
This sweet potato and okra dish is:
Equally sweet and bitter
Full of flavour
A little spicy
This dish is delicious on its own, but it also pairs well with this Cumin Rice recipe and this Easy Chana Masala recipe. If you try this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment below, rating it, and tagging me in a photo @gillianelizab3th on Instagram.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-3 jalapeno peppers*
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 2 cups okra, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, plus more to top
- Lemon juice, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan, over medium-high heat.
- Add cumin seeds to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 seconds.
- Next, add the jalapeño peppers and onion. Sauté until you can smell the onion and it becomes translucent.
- Add the sweet potato and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add the okra, turn down the heat to medium-low and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the ground cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, coriander, turmeric, and salt.
- Then stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking uncovered for 6-10 more minutes, until the potato is cooked.
- Garnish this dish with more chopped cilantro and lemon juice. Serve with cumin rice, naan, and any other dish you desire.