18 Jan Cacao Banana Bread
Today’s recipe features a gluten-free, vegan, no refined sugar added chocolate chip banana bread. Luckily I had a collection of over twelve overripe bananas… it took a few tries to get this just right. In the end, I ended up with a perfectly moist and chocolatey banana bread.
Starting with the dry ingredients, we have a mixture of brown rice flour, gluten-free all-purpose flour, cane sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Next comes the wet ingredients including: one flax egg, three overripe bananas, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and vanilla.
Lastly, we fold in the chocolate chips and top with cacao nibs for a roasted nut flavour. If you’re not into adding a crunch to your banana bread leave these out. Though I wouldn’t recommend it since they’re delicious, rich in antioxidants which help fight off free radical damage which can cause DNA damage and premature aging, flavonoids to fight cardiovascular disease, and fibre.
Make sure to wait at least an hour before cutting into this scrumptious bread otherwise it will fall apart. Lesson learned.
This cacao banana bread is:
Just the right amount of sweetness
I’d love to know if you tried this recipe by leaving a comment below and sharing it on Instagram. Tag your photos with #gillianelizabeth.
- 1¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (aluminum free) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 flax egg
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or 1 2-inch piece vanilla bean
- ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Optional: ⅛ cup cacao nibs, to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare loaf pan by spraying or line with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon flax seed meal and 3 tablespoons water. Stir to mix and let sit in the fridge while you prepare the other parts of the recipe.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients, adding the flax egg and milk mixture last.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Be careful not to over mix at this stage otherwise you will end up with a dense brick instead of a fluffy loaf.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf dish. Top with cacao nibs for a nutty taste and texture.
- Place dish on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool for at least one hour before eating.