28 Feb 15-Minute Romaine Rice Boats
The other day I was craving Jamaican style rice and peas. I don’t know why, but this is what my body was telling me it wanted. I didn’t have exactly the right ingredients so I began looking around my kitchen and ended up making these 15-minute rice boats. The first night that I created this recipe I ate the entire pot. Inevitably, when I re-made it two more times in a matter of days I made sure to increase the amount of ingredients. It is so satisfying.
This recipe features:
Zucchini is amazing for the heart centre. This vegetable has anti-inflammatory properties that can improve heart health. It is also high in potassium, high in energizing B vitamins, helps to improve digestion, and helps to balance thyroid and adrenal function.
Thyme is a beautiful herb. I rarely use it but it is the main herb in Jamaican rice and peas so I suppose my body was in need of some of the amazing benefits it holds. Thyme is an energizing essence, that helps to develop patience, focus, and open up your consciousness to explore the past and future. It also helps to relax the body in times of stress.
These romaine rice boats are:
& Full of flavour!
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and rate it below. Share a picture with me on Instagram @gillianelizab3th.
- 1-2 heads romaine lettuce, separated into individual leaves
- ½ cup rice, dried
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped into ¾-inch pieces
- ¾ teaspoon thyme, dried
- Pink Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup corn, frozen
- 2 tablespoons water*
- ½ cup black or kidney beans
- Diced tomato, to serve
- Lime, to taste
- Salsa, to serve
- Cook rice as directed.
- While the rice is cooking heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is heated add the onion, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Then add the zucchini, thyme, salt, and pepper and then continue cooking for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the corn and 2 tablespoons of water. Simmer, allowing water to cook off, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the rice is done cooking fluff with a fork and stir in the zucchini mixture and the black beans.
- Spoon mixture into the romaine leaves with chopped tomato, lime juice, and salsa to serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.